Let us introduce ourselves - watch our video here!
learn more

Pet owners do everything they can to keep their furry friends healthy and happy. But there are some hidden dangers in and around the home which can actually be poisonous to dogs and cats.

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline logoSigns of Poisoning:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Weakness and depression
  • Nervous stimulation, tremors or seizures
  • Excessive drinking
  • Rapid or slow breathing
  • Unconsciousness
  • Tongue and gums turning white, blue or brown

All of these are important signs that your pet could have ingested something toxic. It is always important to examine the vomit for evidence of what was ingested. Medication should always be labeled for your animal and given to your pet only when prescribed or recommended by your veterinarian.

Common Household Toxins:

  • Aloe vera
  • Apple seeds
  • Apricot pits
  • Avocados
  • Chocolate
  • Cleaning products
  • Flea and tick medications (when ingested)
  • Garbage items
  • Garlic
  • Grapes
  • Insecticides
  • Medications (over the counter and prescriptions, not meant for your pet)
  • Moldy cheese
  • Onions
  • Pesticides
  • Plants including:
    • Azalea
    • Baby's breath
    • Branching ivy
    • Calla lily
    • Clematis
    • Daffodil
    • Easter lily
    • Elephant ears
    • English ivy
    • Geranium
    • Lily of the valley
    • Mistletoe
    • Morning glory
    • Oriental lily
    • Primrose
    • Rhododendron
    • Tiger lily
    • Tomato
  • Raisins
  • Vitamin supplements
  • Xylitol-sweetened gum

If You Suspect Your Pet Has Ingested Something Dangerous, Remember To:

  • Remain calm.
  • Contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline at 1-888-426-4435.
  • Contact your veterinarian.
  • If your pet is having seizures, difficulty breathing or bleeding, bring them to the nearest emergency clinic.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to give us a call at (262) 241-4884.

*As of March 2018.